At a recent NYC CMO Club Chapter Dinner, the CMOs had an ice-breaker to discuss their most valuable CMO career advice and tips AND what brands they feel the most brand loyalty towards. We’ve rounded up their answers for you here!
Most valuable CMO career tip:
- Hire right, don’t hire under duress (especially at the end of your 3rd trimester of pregnancy)
- Give to get! (like participating in organizations like The CMO Club)
- Network outside of your industry and meet new people – helps generate fresh and unexpected ideas
- Create authentic relationships
- Change is inevitable, support change immediately. Help shape it before it shapes you
- Never stop learning!
- Always be networking, help others – remember everyone is out of a job at some point or another
- Make the CFO your best friend, build good relationship with them to help make your job easier
- Use predictive box and AI now
- Have a laser beam focus on your customers, simplicity is always a good route
- Keep up with technology
- Talk to each other! Human to human, real life interaction is so important
- Make sure you are developing your personal brand
Two books that helped CMOs develop their professional identity were:
Companies That Top NYC CMO Club Members Brand Loyalty List?
- Allen Edmonds
- American Express
- Warby Parker
- Baked Lays
- Tiny Prints
- Orange Theory Fitness
- Whole Foods
- LL Bean
- Trunk Club
What career advice have you received or passed along to others? Please share in the comments and let us know!