SMTP, Inc. is seeking an experienced and passionate Chief Marketing Officer to catapult forward awareness and sales of a dynamic, fast-growing publicly traded international SaaS business in email marketing. This is a highly visible executive role that comes with the opportunity to make a significant impact on the global growth of our organization, while still operating in a lean, agile environment.
SMTP is a NASDAQ-listed provider of email services that is growing rapidly on a global basis. The company’s easy-to-use and highly affordable SharpSpring marketing automation platform is empowering the next generation digital marketers with tools once reserved for large enterprises. The company’s long history as one of the early pioneers of SMTP delivery services provides a solid backbone for the company’s growth, which are supported by its expanding global operations. Its recent acquisition of GraphicMail provides a global footprint and both email and mobile functionality for a wide range of business users. Its profitable operation and access to the public markets for capital positions it well for both organic growth and synergistic acquisitions. Learn more about us and our subsidiaries at: http://investors.smtp.com/media/SMTP_Investor_Presentation_Dec2014.pdf .
As Chief Marketing Officer, you will have overarching responsibility for driving rapid revenue growth via our multi-channel marketing efforts. Reporting to the CEO, you will collaborate with Sales, Product, Technology, Finance and Human Resources to create the strategy to penetrate existing and new markets and gain market share globally, in support of overall revenue goals.
We’ll depend on you to expand and drive the marketing team that propels our business to industry prominence. We’ll entrust you with a multi-million dollar budget to use in the creation, deployment and optimization of marketing programs, which you will have the authority to steer to drive our growth. You and your marketing teams will also be charged with helping pull together multiple prior and planned acquisitions under one cohesive umbrella, establishing us as one of the leading names in email services.
Your team will be a uniquely talented multinational marketing organization, which you will have full discretion to direct to maximize its overall effectiveness. While based in the Boston area, our marketing team has a office in Gainesville, Florida and Cape Town, South Africa. In addition, you will manage the team that supports our network of country partners in 14 countries by helping to establish and drive best practices, and direct marketing support that ultimately promotes growth on a worldwide basis.
Your deep experience in B2B marketing will accelerate our efforts to land corporate, SMB and agency business for each of our products. With your leadership and direction, your marketing team will ensure comprehensive visibility across all customer acquisition channels into key metrics, working to consistently maximize the ROI of our marketing investments.
As a critical member of our executive team, you will lead by exemplifying values consistent with our company culture. You will demonstrate your commitment to our collective success by signing up for aggressive targets, delivering against them, and challenging your entire team to do the same. You will work seamlessly across functions and will ensure that marketing is highly responsive to needs from both internal and external customers. You will bring both strategic thinking and an appreciation for the value of executing to produce quick short-term wins. You will adapt to bridge cultural divides, both within the organization and as we reach out to grow sales.
Our organization has entered into an exciting period of intense growth. After making three acquisitions and already integrating our core delivery services, our company’s primary focus at this time is rapidly accelerating and expanding our marketing efforts.
Our revenue growth will depend to a great extent on you.
• Set marketing strategy for the business as a whole and for each product line. Work closely with CEO to set strategic direction for company’s market positioning vs. competitors, while concurrently translating strategic goals into focused efforts on execution leading to rapid results.
• Establish overarching brand for the company and strengthen product brands. Work closely with product teams to segment markets and position our brand and products and in a manner that permits us to achieve disruptive market penetration.
• Drive our demand generation activities including the formation of strategy, lead/opportunity generation goals and forecasts, budget spend priorities and media mix recommendations, and the assessment of results. Guide team in establishing actionable campaign plans with a clear focus on quality execution and results. Includes targeting and segmentation, funnel analysis, messaging, content strategy, execution, promotion, lead management, forecasting, scorecard and budget. Become the face of our company at industry events, representing us in our position in the industry, and establish a productive social media presence.
• Ensure effective lead conversion, overseeing the team that manages our website and online presence, establishing nurturing programs, and establishing the analytical framework to determine the effectiveness of all marketing campaigns. Ensure continual improvement via designed experiments on key messaging and carefully assess results, blending out-of-the box creativity with a disciplined cadence of continual analysis and optimization.
• Inspire effective collaboration with other business functions, working closely with sales team and international country partners to determine the right mix of strategic moves and tactical marketing initiatives to deploy in each region. Solidify sales enablement and retention programs. Share best practices widely across the company, strengthening culture and developing cross-functional teams. Work closely with finance team to ensure adherence to budgetary plans, focusing on ROI. Note that to ensure full engagement with all team members globally, we anticipate approximately 30%-40% travel between our Boston area, Florida and South African offices will be required.
• People Development and Leadership, of an internationally distributed Marketing team. You must be a true “People Leader”, and have passion for investing in the development of the employees who are under your leadership. This will require a very high level of regular, clear and open/honest communication, along with the ability to delegate effectively, and to positively provide leadership and personnel development across international time zones and different cultures.
Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record as the principal marketing executive driving rapid top line growth in B2B marketing to corporations, SMB’s, and/or marketing agencies.
The ideal candidate will possess the following professional experience:
• Prior experience leading global marketing efforts with a strong B2B focus in a SaaS/digital industry with a track record of driving superb top line growth on tight budgets and timelines
• Deep experience across the range of marketing functions spanning lead generation, conversion, retention and branding, and encompassing a wide range of professional experience, ideally spanning start-up ventures to mature industries..
• A network of contacts across multiple industries you can tap to establish business relationships and access to a range of marketing personnel you can tap for talent to rapidly strengthen our team
• Proven experience leading campaigns end to end, with solid knowledge of brand, thought leadership, targeting and segmentation, messaging and positioning, creative, content, and the marketing mix across the buyer’s journey.
• Marketing automation, CRM tools and other elements of a data ecosystem should be second nature (i.e., Marketo, Salesforce, Google Analytics, HubSpot)
The ideal candidate will also bring:
• An ability to execute – not just to plan effectively, but to deliver results at a brisk cadence
• Superb people skills – including an ability to actively listen and to effectively motivate teams
• A hands-on attitude, being willing to “roll up your sleeves” in order to drive rapid revenue growth
• An ability to drive a sense of urgency while working collaboratively across the organization
• Substantial industry profile, well respected in marketing and marketing technology
• The essential characteristics of creativity, integrity, competitiveness, accountability and teamwork
• Artful written and verbal communication skills – including an ability to cut through the chatter both within the organization and as we reach out to customers.
• Executive level experience being accountable to, and communicating with a Board of Directors
The SMTP Culture and Perks
As a team, we want to differentiate ourselves by hard work, disciplined execution, friendly service, a commitment to solving our customers’ problems, and to demonstrate that we can accomplish more than others with a fraction of their resources.
Our company culture is based on the belief that our people are our #1 asset:
• We empower you to make decisions and get things done without all of the bureaucracy!
• We ensure communication across the organization, including actively soliciting your feedback.
• We are committed to our team’s personal development at all levels of the organization.
• We offer competitive salaries and company bonus programs.
• We offer health and dental insurance for full-time employees.
• We offer a paid holidays and PTO to our full-time employees.
• We strive to reward team members who operate as “business owners” with stock option grants in our firm, creating a strong team-oriented dynamic across the entire company.