Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is an award-winning global cruise and also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Australia/New Zealand, Canada, Dubai, Europe and South America. The company owns six brands, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, Pullmantur, Azamara Club Cruises and CDF Croisieres de France, as well at TUI Cruises through a 50 percent joint venture. Together, these six brands operate a combined total of 41 ships. They operate diverse itineraries around the world that call on approximately 490 destinations on all seven continents.
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is the only true global cruise brand, with presence in the U.S., China, UK, Europe, Australia, Brazil and beyond. RCI leads the global cruise market, has 23 ships on the seas and $5 billion worth of new builds arriving in the next 36 months and carries over four million guests per year. As such, it is in a strong position to take advantage of environmental trends that are making cruising more of a popular travel destination; and, to take advantage of the 50+% of the U.S. population that is “new to cruise”.
Onboard the ships, the brands offer an extensive array of activities, services and amenities, including simulated surfing, swimming pool, sun decks beauty salons, exercise and spa facilities, ice skating rinks, in-line skating, basketball courts, rock climbing walls, miniature golf courses, gaming facilities, lounges, bars, Las Vegas-style entertainment, cinemas and Royal Promenades, which include interior shopping, dining and an entertainment boulevard.
An aggressive revenue growth plan has been put in place. Michael Bayley was appointed as CEO of RCI in January 2015. Under his engaged and inspirational leadership, a new senior team has been aligned to drive results and are moving forward together; targeting doubling net income by 2017. Strategic focus includes doubling down on the US and China markets, owning the Caribbean destinations, creating a distinctive, relevant and compelling brand position, and better segmenting the current and potential customer base. As an interpreter of customer information and shepherd of the brand, the Chief Marketing Officer will be a key member of the senior leadership team and will operate as strategic business partner and will play a critical role in driving revenue.
With a deep commercial understanding of how to leverage customer data, an analytical approach and a relentless focus on results, the Chief Marketing Officer will lead an organization to develop and action integrated marketing initiatives that drive measurable business outcomes.
The Chief Marketing Officer will be responsible for driving profitable revenue by turning customer insights into demand generation. Having clearly defined, dimensionalized and prioritized well differentiated customer segments, s/he will be able to identify business opportunities, and drive integrated programs that capitalize on these opportunities. Leveraging data to create customer intimacy, this executive will represent the voice of the customer, fully understand the different customer segments, and will influence the organization to help fulfill customer needs across channels and customer touch points.
The Chief Marketing Officer will define the RCI brand positioning in terms that are authentic to the brand, differentiated versus the competition and relevant and compelling to the targeted customers. Founded in robust analytics, this brand positioning will serve as a brand filter and inform messaging and customer experience, will facilitate demand generation, loyalty and engagement and create sustainable brand health and value ( with customers, travel partners and employees); all with the framework of driving profitable business growth.
The Chief Marketing Officer will quickly build internal relationships and lead the marketing team to demonstrate to the rest of the organization the tangible business value that marketing can bring as a revenue driver and a strategic business partner, and dispel any notions that marketing is just a creative function.
Specifically s/he will:
• Build and drive execution of measurable action plans from strategic foundation; provide industry-leading innovation in strategy, marketing and business planning derived from consumer centric research, analytics as well as creative thinking in order to clearly articulate the brand and priority customer targets and move the business forward.
• Provide an acute focus on the significant US market opportunity. Representing 60% of revenue, US performance is critical to overall business results, and serves as a beacon to global markets.
• Partner extensively with heads of sales and revenue management to regularly and in “real time” refine and better target plans and offers to maximize occupancy.
• Crack the code on penetrating beyond current cruisers and attracting customers from the travel market who are “new to cruise”.
• Create a data-driven, customer-centric approach with differentiated objectives and programs by segment to drive profitable growth.
• Bring “out of the box”, “modern” thinking and be on the forefront of “the next big thing”; develop and test compelling new programs that drive traffic to various customer acquisition channels, support conversion, increase frequency and depth of engagement.
• Develop all brand messaging and how it evolves; integrate all customer communication strategies across media and distribution channels. Bring a specific focus on how to articulate RCIs significant strength in the Caribbean in a compelling way.
• Create a consistent and brand coherent customer experience across media and revenue channels and products.
• Drive operational marketing within a strategic framework, across a complex matrix of products, markets, customers and distribution channels.
• Adopt a “think global, act local” approach aligning international markets behind an overall brand framework and provide a forum for best practice sharing with local markets; facilitating independent operational excellence in local marketing organizations.
• Evaluate marketing investment based on business objectives and customer targets to ensure best allocation of resources; continuously improve effectiveness and the ROI of marketing investments and the most efficient choice of investment channels.
• Directly manage the web channel and direct to consumer outreach, and optimize customer experience.
• Partner extensively with IT to create appropriate CRM/CEM/Loyalty programs, and support intensive analytics and measurement. Fully integrate teams as necessary.
• Inspire, empower lead and measure a high performance team including Digital Marketing, Marketing Strategy and Analytics, Creative Services, One to One Marketing (loyalty), Marketing Services, Consumer insights.
• Evaluate, optimize organizational structure and staff as required.
• Accomplished professional with 20+ years’ experience, including leadership of a broad based marketing organization; may be a sitting CMO, but could also be a high potential “rising star” in a larger organization.
• A truly commercial marketer with a holistic business view and a track record of leveraging marketing initiatives to generate measurable business results.
• Experience driving shorter term, growth oriented programs while furthering brand positioning.
• Strong integrated marketing mindset; will understand the integration of customer acquisition/retention, brand experience, advertising, social media, PR, etc. and will have a strong “left brain” and analytical foundation to ground and track these activities.
• Balance of commercial/ operational savvy and depth in analytics with creative ideas and strong “sense of brand”.
• While cruise and travel experience are not required, should have experience working in customer centric and data rich businesses where driving demand, customer engagement management (CEM) and customer experience are key components.
• Experience in a category with strong image orientation and comfortable with a “high touch product”.
• Demonstrated consumer centric/market focus and the capacity to create and lead the implementation of strategic, creative, and fiscally sound programs that drive business results.
• Experience leading change; able to bring alignment behind an initiative, keep it on track, and lead it through successful execution.
• Demonstrated ability to deal with a complex business, and the learning agility and patience to learn a new industry and bring and adapt knowledge and experience to a new industry.
• Has managed sizable teams and budgets.
• Relentless focus on results.
• Gravitas, executive maturity and intellect that will lend immediate credibility combined with humility and patience that will facilitate influence and integration.
• Inspirational leader. Collaborative and a bridge builder; cross-functional and team-building skills.
• Entrepreneurial; comfortable “building a plane while flying”.
• Politically astute and organizationally agile.
• Strong influencer; compelling communicator.
• Self-directed, insightful.
• Strong leader and coach.
• Upbeat, driven and passionate.
• Flexible and open to ideas, yet confident, self-assured and resilient; courage of his/her convictions.
An undergraduate degree is required, and an MBA is highly desirable.
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. A customized package, including base salary, incentive bonus and equity will be developed to attract the finalist candidate.