Maker Media (“Make:”) inspires, informs, unites and entertains the growing community of makers who enjoy doing amazing projects in backyards, basements, garages, companies and organizations. Through our family of brands, including Maker Faire, Make: Magazine, Maker Shed and Maker Camp, Make: celebrates your right to tweak, hack, and bend technology to your will. Make: is a mission driven organization full of people who believe in bettering ourselves, our environment, our organizations, our educational system – our world. Care to join us?
The Chief Marketing Officer role at Make: is an opportunity to use all your marketing and leadership skills and have a great time doing it. The ideal candidate will have the ability to think strategically about brand architecture, expand reach through PR, social and paid acquisition programs, drive customer activation and retention improvements, work collaboratively with a Sales team to develop new programs, lead a team of creatives and at all times evaluate results using deep analytical skills and a metrics driven mindset. The right CMO will enjoy setting aggressive goals, thrive in a fast moving environment and be comfortable with complex multi-channel programs and be accountable for delivering results. The Company’s roots are in events and traditional media, but the fastest growing part of the business is digital, and the right CMO will be able to provide strategic direction as well as hands on execution in both areas. Previous experience with digital media, commerce, print and events businesses is strongly preferred. It goes without saying that a successful applicant will be an outstanding hiring manager, mentor, team leader and culture builder.
The Make: culture is highly mission driven and passion for the Maker Movement is a must. This is an senior leadership team position on high growth, mission driven, super fun company, so if you’re looking for an opportunity to work hard and make a difference in the world, we want to talk to you!
• Provide strategic leadership for brand architecture and positioning leveraging customer research and company’s historical experience.
• Manage, mentor and grow a successful marketing organization that includes responsibility for brand strategy, customer acquisition, engagement/retention, social media, PR, customer research and business analytics.
• Create and maintain a strong executive team presence and work collaboratively with other teams, including Editorial, Product Management, Engineering, Sales, Events and Finance.
• Innovate existing programs and develop new ones in a fast paced, rapidly evolving industry.
• Develop and manage to KPIs that reflect the goals of a complex organization and multiple brands.
• Manage a significant paid customer acquisition budget, including SEM, community events and other programs online and offline.
• Increase earned media and unpaid traffic with PR, social media and other programs.
• Leverage ongoing customer research, segmentation and persona development to inform business decisions.
• Expand a business analytics team that leverages data to improve business results.
• Collaborate with Editorial to develop a more robust content strategy and increase our media team’s reach.
• Work closely with Sales team to develop and execute multi-channel programs for F500 brands
• Build enablement tools and processes that bring operational efficiencies to the marketing team and broader organization.
• Efficiently hire, on-board and manage additional team members.
• Communicate regularly with all parts of the organization.
• Represent and promote the Company at industry, tradeshow and similar events.
• Some travel is required.
• 10+ years successful track record leading and growing a marketing organization.
• Previous experience as an executive of a high-profile growth company.
• Track record of success and previous experience in a variety of industries, including digital media, commerce, events, traditional publishing and video.
• Previous experience working with a sales team to develop multi-channel sponsorship programs for Fortune 500 brands.
• Demonstrated ability to set aggressive goals and exceed them for a global marketing organization.
• Exceptional leadership, coaching and motivational skills.
• Extremely resourceful and proactive in identifying problems and finding solutions.
• Able to comfortably handle multiple high profile situations simultaneously.
• Previous success as a change agent.
• Great culture fit – strong Maker values and a team first attitude.
• Outstanding verbal, written and presentation skills.
Benefits and Other Tidbits:
• Our generous benefits package includes: health, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, and a 401(k) with matching program.
• Salary and level to be determined by experience and education.
• Maker Media is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.