The SVP Chief Marketing Officer will be a key member of the senior leadership team of the Information Management Business (IMB) and will sit on the extended leadership team. The CMO will lead a global marketing organization of the $2.6B business with responsibility for:
• Enterprise Business Segment Marketing
• Internal & external communications
• Public & analyst relations
• Global events
• Marketing Planning and Analysis
• Customer Experience
• Regional Marketing (EMEA, APJ, Americas)
• Brand Strategy & Marketing
• Digital Strategy & Marketing
This leader will be a digitally savvy, visionary leader of Symantec’s IMB marketing function. The CMO will be a visionary change agent and will work collaboratively with senior leaders to innovate in the way the business engages with customers, partners and prospects. This is not the job of status quo. It is about reinvention and re-imagination, building a world-class organization of existing and new talent with a leader who is curious about new frontiers and not afraid to explore the edge of what is possible. It is a thought leader and a leader of teams and people. Personal characteristics are those of confidence, vision and inspiration but coupled with grace and humility of servant-leadership. The CMO should have the right business mindset and live Symantec’s Leadership Success Profile.
The CMO will understand and deliver value to empowered customers; create lasting relationships with those customers; and measure marketing’s contribution to the business in relevant, quantifiable terms. The CMO will establish a comprehensive marketing strategy for the business focused on the products, solutions partners, sales channels, and competitive position while driving company-wide marketing programs and cross-functional initiatives. The CMO will report to the EVP & General Manager of Symantec’s IMB.
This senior leadership position requires the ability to understand changing market dynamics for comercial, small business and enterprise customers, translating them into actionable strategy and implementing the strategy to achieve desired strategic objectives. The CMO must also be in tune with the evolving role of Marketing within the organization and industry and be naturally curious to explore these new dynamics. The CMO should also have experience in managing budgets effectively across multiple departments, setting up effective metrics and business processes.
• A proven transformation leader. Vision. Candor. Grace. Humility. Inspiration.
• Digitally curious and savvy. Understands the rapidly changing landscape of marketing and business.
• Proven ability to operate successfully in large-complex global organizations.
• Proven leadership and people development skills, as well as experience leading a world class multi-functional and disciplined marketing organization.
• The ability to convert customer insights and trend data into high impact marketing initiatives.
• Expertise in leveraging digital and new media to engage key constituents and transform brand and customer experience.
• The ability to drive systematic change without producing a lot of debris.
• The ability to collaborate inside and outside the organization to develop consensus and create strong relationships; one who builds strong relationships at every level of the organization and is a strong motivator who knows how to influence and get others to consistently do their best work.
• Strategic vision and ability to execute programs with measurable marketplace impact.
• Strong product launch and marketing brand building credentials.
• Experience identifying and optimizing new business models and routes to market.
• The ability to tie demand creation efforts directly to sales pipeline.
• Proven ability to manage large-scale events that are both revenue generating and impactful.
• Demonstrated ability to understand the infrastructure requirements of “marketing”, broadly defined, including marketing automation, digital marketing, and business intelligence.
• A personality that thrives in a demanding, quick-turnaround environment where change is a daily reality.
• Enterprise & Commercial Customer, Partner and Brand Focus. A deep track record in marketing brand building on an international scale.
• Strategic Vision and Business Development. A track record of spotting emerging opportunities and establishing the path to capitalize on these for the business. Provocative, can see a range of ways to get from concept to delivery and strategic implications of each, and can define the optimum path for the business. A proactive, forward thinker not afraid to take risks to drive traditional model changes, capitalizing on new technologies and mediums.
• Influencing and Relationship Building. Works very smoothly across the matrix, is able to build respect in the markets through both style and substance and has proven ability to actively influence organizational thinking in order to secure buy in and commercial support for new initiatives. Networks effectively in the industry to stay close to emerging developments, technical innovations, and potential partners.
• Commercial Results Focus. Translates ideas to results. Highly commercially driven and able to assess the viability of a proposition based on both shorter and longer term impact to the business. Impatient and ambitious for the business and drives uncompromisingly for higher performance.
• Team Leadership and Organizational Development. A compelling team leader, highly visible and able to inspire others. Empowers cross functional teams to perform, creates a clear sense of team identity and holds teams accountable for meeting collective goals. Also brings a proven ability to attract, develop and coach talent which will be critical in taking the capability of the organization to new levels.
• Uncompromising integrity
About this company
Symantec helps consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored.
Symantec was founded in 1982 by visionary computer scientists. In that spirit, as technology changed so did Symantec. We are focused on providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help businesses and consumers secure and manage their information.