We push and drive and innovate like a start-up, but we have the stability, track record and success to know that the doors will still be open every Monday morning. Now, we need someone dynamic and, frankly, brilliant to help us lead that driving, pushing and innovating.
SmarterTravel is a Boston-based subsidiary of TripAdvisor, Inc. We own and operate several websites in the travel space, including Jetsetter, the world’s leading luxury travel site that provides expert knowledge and exclusive deals on the finest travel experiences. Across all of our brands, our goal is to help people travel —whether that's across the state or around the world—at the price that's right for them.
We're looking for a Director to lead our brand marketing efforts across our entire portfolio of brands, with added emphasis this year on Jetsetter and AirfareWatchdog. We are aggressive about disrupting the online hotel booking market and turning the online travel search market on its head, and we need someone with the marketing chops to make big decisions, take big risks and challenge the direction when you don't agree with it.
You'll impress your peers and your team with your creative thinking and you'll earn our analytics teams' respect with your easy grasp of all the metrics. You'll craft a vision, execute it, analyze its results and use those numbers to make our next success even greater. And you're not in this alone; we have a team of marketers in place just waiting for you. They're smart and talented, but they need you to lead them, inspire them and help them to grow.
In a nutshell, you're a consummate pro and an utter dynamo—which is great, because we won't settle for less.
- Drive strategic direction and execution for all aspects of brand marketing
- Craft and manage brand architecture and guidelines for Jetsetter in partnership with the Editor-in-Chief
- Conceptualize & execute innovative marketing programs that optimize customer activation, conversion, loyalty, and retention through a balance of keen acumen, subject matter expertise, and aesthetics
- Drive global Public Relation activities including reviewing press releases, managing press release approval process, and releasing them via newswires or agencies.
- Grow member acquisition and word of mouth for each brand by developing partnerships with like-minded brands and developing a brand advocacy program to engage the top 1%.
- Partner with our parent company, TripAdvisor, to develop unique and relevant offerings to generating memberships and email subscriptions.
- Construct and manage integrated marketing efforts that cut across all business functions for various sites in the portfolio.
- Perform reporting and analysis on all program performance, including identifying business drivers and opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure that the appropriate value proposition, tone, look and feel, etc. is developed or evolved as we launch new products and change existing ones.
- Define our brand tradeshow and conference plan including highlighting key events, securing speaking opportunities, ensuring speakers are briefed on key messages and ensuring that any collateral needed to support the event is produced on a timely manner
- Provide thought leadership on growing overall marketing efforts.
- Exceptional creative thinker balanced with analytical rigor
- Marketing/brand management experience with consumer-facing internet brands (e-commerce, retail or home industry experience preferred), or agency experience managing multiple high-profile clients or e-commerce brands
- 10+ years marketing experience
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Experience executing successful marketing campaigns across a broadcast, online, and print channels
- Experience managing both teams and individuals with an eye toward developing members for upward growth
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Detail oriented
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Marketing thought leader
- Strong collaboration skills
- Must be able to perform customary physical duties and meet appropriate social expectations of a professional office environment
The successful candidate will be a creative, highly motivated, decisive thought leader with excellent managerial skills and future potential. He/She will have a proven track record of achieving results on both an individual and team level, directly measured by sales / traffic and by the development of a Branding and creative design organization.
- Strategic Orientation and Thought Leadership: As indicated by a track record of successful strategy development and implementation. A demonstrated ability to think strategically and act as a thought partner with senior management.
- Results Orientation: As demonstrated by an ability to make things happen and drive the implementation of strategic plans into execution. This includes a rigorous methodology to measure own results and the results of the rest of the organization. An ability to clearly identify and select alternatives based on an evaluation of costs, risks and benchmarking is a critical element of this competency.
- Team Leadership: A proven ability to build effective groups including attracting an developing highly motivated and successful subordinates who have gone on to build records of success. The person must be able to motivate staff and create a high performance ethic among the group. Additionally, the person should have a track record of building teams across functions and business lines to create ideas to positively influence.
- Influencing and Collaboration: As evidenced by the ability to positively influence management and staff to act in the best interest of the Company’s customers with an outlook that is larger than one individual group.
- Customer Orientation: As evidenced by the ability to present research findings and customer insights into organizational learning and brand “acts” in a manner that clearly shows how to meet consumer needs, drive strong business results, and develop long-term customer relationships.
- Responsive: As demonstrated in the ability to respond quickly to changing market conditions while remaining grounded in brand principles.
- Style Flexibility: As evidenced by the ability to adapt to personal style in the areas of management, communication, and delivery as needed for different situations and client executives.