|About the Opportunity
Reporting to and working closely with David Williams, Chairman and CEO of Merkle, the CMO is a member of the Company’s Executive Committee and leads the marketing efforts of the company. Merkle is in the midst of transforming itself and its industry and this individual will be responsible for building Merkle’s brand as:
- A new kind of marketing business partner focused on broad customer strategy and creating competitive advantage using addressable customer interactions.
- A thought leader in technology enabled data driven CRM.
- A “new” type of agency with a unique set of skills including technology; analytics, addressable media and channel experts.
- A marketing and CRM consulting partner providing strategy and expertise designed to address challenges faced by today’s CMOs and the enterprise technology challenges of CIO’s.
Major Areas of Accountability
- Drive CMO, CIO and CXO awareness of the Merkle brand ensuring the brand, our capabilities and our expertise are effectively communicated and clearly understood in the market place.
- Ensure marketing efforts and activities are highly leveraged and well coordinated to achieve optimum results. This includes the corporate website, thought leadership initiatives, event management, public and media relations, tradeshows, advertising, internal and external communications, branding and market research.
- Lead innovation efforts to develop and support strategies that capture new business and generate productive leads; strengthening the connection between Merkle’s marketing and sales functions.
- Collaborate in the development and enhancement of core competitive advantages by generating new marketing approaches to ensure existing concepts remain sold to the client and new concepts are accepted by clients – always ensuring a clear and powerful message on “Why Merkle”.
- Enhance meaningful relationships with industry analysts, media and key influencers to strengthen market presence, generate tier one media coverage and generate buzz in the industry about the Merkle brand.
- Provide leadership to the corporate marketing team, creating a high-performing, well-integrated, collaborative and respected function. Drive operational excellence across the marketing function assuring adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements
- Conduct rigorous business, client, and competitive analysis.
- Help guide the company in the collection and communication of best practices and the utilization of tools and systems to document, communicate, measure, and monitor marketing performance and ROI.
The ideal candidate is a business person first whose core responsibility is marketing. We’re seeking a senior business partner to the CEO with a deep understanding of our industry and a strong point of view about our value proposition. This individual will play a leadership role in the development of company strategy, corporate development and how Merkle is positioned within the competitive landscape. He or she will be a dynamic marketing and communications leader who has built and managed high-performing teams, developed credibility and inspired confidence both inside and outside of the organization. It is important that this person has held senior-level and broad-based roles that encompass both marketing and communications disciplines within well-regarded companies with complex operating practices and multiple lines of business.
This is not a role for an executive whose expertise is in leading and managing a large marketing function with a large budget. Rather, this is a hands-on role requiring nimbleness, creativity and marketing edge. The annual marketing budget is $4M and the Marketing function currently employs 16 professionals. This individual must have a proven track record of success leading transformational change in the marketing function and growing and sustaining a quality brand.
The ideal candidate possesses tremendous communication and leadership skills, and has had proven success in leveraging the broad spectrum of today’s communications and marketing channels. The CMO will have the strategic, creative, and business acumen to take Merkle to the next level.
Specifically, this individual will bring
- 15+ years of well-rounded business and marketing experience as a highly successful communications and marketing strategist with demonstrated success driving profitable growth.
- Deep understanding and expertise in B2B digital marketing with best-in-class knowledge of building brands in the digital and social media age.
- Demonstrated success collaborating with, leading and, motivating multi-functional teams and individuals across lines of business in direct and matrix relationships and proven ability to lead transformational change within a marketing organization.
- A results-oriented, hands-on, entrepreneurial-minded approach with the confidence to take ownership and initiative with the persistence and resourcefulness necessary to work through obstacles.
- High personal credibility and profile; regarded among peers and the media as a leader in the profession.
- Well-honed communication skills, including strong writing, presentation and platform skills. This individual will be external facing and the public face of the company.
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA preferred
Although not required, the position is ideally located in the Greater Washington/Baltimore area and based in Columbia, Maryland. Residence near a major airport is required as is the ability to travel extensively.
Merkle is the largest privately-held customer relationship marketing agency in the U.S. For more than 25 years, Fortune 1,000 companies and leading non-profit organizations have partnered with Merkle to build and maximize the value of their customer portfolios and return on their marketing investments. With a variety of quantitative, information-based solutions, Merkle works with clients to plan, design, execute and measure fully integrated customer relationship marketing (CRM) solutions. Merkle provides the framework for organizations to aggressively apply quantitative database marketing strategies to their CRM programs across mass, direct and digital media. For over a decade, our Think Brand. Act Direct. ™ approach has produced superior results for many world-class global brands. The core of our solution is our highly-flexible and scalable marketing technology platform coupled with our award-winning analytics and creative, driven by a highly-disciplined consultative approach. It is the integration of these competencies that creates superior results for our clients. In today’s competitive environment, it’s not enough to provide great products and services. What matters is how these capabilities create and support marketing strategies that influence consumer behavior over time. This is Merkle’s mission.
- Chairman & CEO: David Williams
- Ownership: Privately held by current management since 1988
- Revenue: $318 million for 2012 with sustained 25% growth since 1989
- Employees: over 2000
- Locations: Baltimore | Boston | Denver | Hagerstown, MD | Little Rock | London | Minneapolis | Nanjing | New Jersey | New York | Philadelphia | Pittsburgh | San Francisco | Shanghai
- Industries served: Retail Consumer Goods, Healthcare, Insurance & Wealth Management, Nonprofit, Retail, Banking & Finance, Travel, Media & Entertainment and Hi-Tech.
- Areas of expertise: consulting, database marketing, marketing analytics, creative and communications & digital media.