Urban Land Institute (ULI) located in Washington, DC, is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit research and education organization supported by its members. Founded in 1936, they now have over 42,000 members worldwide, representing the entire spectrum of land use, real estate development and related disciplines working in private enterprise and public service. A multidisciplinary real estate forum, ULI facilitates an open exchange of ideas, information, and experience among industry leaders and policy makers dedicated to creating better places. The Urban Land Institute provides leadership in the responsible use of land and in creating and sustaining thriving communities worldwide. ULI operates with an annual revenue budget of over $70M. They currently have a 17-member Board of Directors and a staff of around 250. Sterling Martin Associates has been retained to assist with this search.
For more information, please visit http://www.americas.uli.org/.
Senior Vice President of Membership Marketing
The Senior Vice President of Membership Marketing will translate the organization’s strategic plan into operational priorities and manage the day-to-day operations of the Americas marketing and membership group, facilitating continued growth of the organization. He/she will be responsible for keeping staff directed and focused on serving its members, delivering on revenue objectives, and the mission of the organization. The ideal candidate will have a strong expertise in membership marketing, demonstrate strong business acumen, embrace innovation, have a motivational can-do approach, and a collaborative leadership style.
The Senior Vice President of Membership Marketing reports to the Chief of Marketing and Membership. The SVP manages a team of 10 which markets individual memberships, ULI’s key events, products and services, and publishes ULI’s magazine and professional books. The SVP will collaborate with other executives in a team environment to ensure effective delivery on strategic plan objectives related to member experience, growth, and engagement. Collectively, this department is responsible for achieving $30M dues and non-dues revenue.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibility and accountability for developing the Americas membership marketing strategy and actionable marketing plans for membership, conferences, education programs, and publications, including Urban Land magazine
- Effectively manage and administer the day-to-day operations of the department, including overall leadership and guidance for a staff of 10
- Manage department finances, including building and managing a revenue and expense budget
- Lead membership recruitment, retention, and rejoin strategies and implementation plans
- Collaborate with and provide support for membership marketing and best practices to local chapters
- Provide oversight and management of the Urban Land magazine editorial and advertising sales team
- Champion the member perspective across the Institute and serve as the business lead for membership marketing in organization-wide initiatives
- Continually look for opportunities to improve the Marketing and Membership processes, incorporating benchmarks and best practices
- Serve as publisher, managing the business of publishing the print and digital magazine, and ULI books
Requisite Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree is required; MBA preferred.
- At least 10-15 years of experience required in membership marketing.
- Proven leadership managing and motivating a highly effective team.
- Experience with change management.
- Collaborative leadership style.
- Strategic thinker with excellent planning capabilities.
- Excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, who effectively conveys ideas.
- A strong team player
- An ability to coach, motivate and retain staff in a collaborative, high-performance work environment.
- A creative problem solver with demonstrated skill thinking outside the box, who can be flexible and innovative, delivering solutions in limited time frames.
- Polished human relations skills to facilitate working across divisions and departments, and between and among member leaders.
- Ability to anticipate and articulate future trends and directions and to recommend actions to enhance the success of the organization within functional areas of responsibility.
- Skill proactively and effectively, identify and meet the needs of members, customers, and stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of data driven digital marketing and embrace of the use of technology platforms as the foundation for member benefits and service delivery
- Proficiency managing financial resources in keeping with budget objectives.
Compensation and Benefits
A competitive compensation will be offered to attract an outstanding candidate.
To apply, please send a cover letter and current resume to ULI@smartinsearch.com. A well-written cover letter, outlining how your experience fits the requirements of the position, will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
ULI is an equal opportunity / affirmative action employer committed to inclusion and cultural diversity in the workplace. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, color, age, disability, religion, national origin, sexual preference, genetic information or any other protected class.
Adam Smolyar – email@example.com