VP, MARKETING PLANNING
VIKING RIVER CRUISES
Viking Cruises offers destination-centric river and ocean cruising designed for experienced travelers with an interest in geography, culture and history. Debuting its maiden season of ocean cruising in 2015, the sophisticated state-of-the-art Viking Star will host 930 guests on itineraries in Scandinavia and the Baltic; and the Western and Eastern Mediterranean. As the world’s leading river cruise line, since its 1997 inception the company has grown to a fleet of 53 river vessels (in 2014) offering scenic cruising along the rivers of Europe, Russia, Ukraine, China, and Southeast Asia. The primary market is a 55+, upscale consumer with travel experience. Leading source markets include the US & Canada, UK, Australia and Germany. The Woodland Hills, CA office is US headquarters. The company has annual revenue of around USD 1 billion, has experienced rapid growth and bases itself heavily on direct marketing methods.
Viking is looking for a strong, detailed oriented, energetic and motivated individual to be responsible for the marketing planning function Worldwide. This executive will be responsible for
• Developing the long term and annual marketing plan for the North American business
• Monitoring performance against plan and making sure that corrective action is taken
• Carrying out projects related to new business development
• Leading marketing execution of the Australia & United Kingdom source markets
The marketing plan covers such elements as: consumer and customer research, demand forecasting, competitive analysis, fleet deployment, itinerary planning, product planning, pricing, determination of the marketing mix, timing of various marketing initiatives. This leads to a P&L for the North American business.
Reporting directly to SVP Marketing, he will be a part of the US marketing team which in addition consists of: VP Direct Marketing, VP e-commerce, VP Product Development, VP Digital & TV Advertising and VP Marketing Communications.
The person will have small group of 3-5 people working for him.
The person will also be working closely with executives in Europe, the successful candidate will be and important member of Viking’s overall management team.
• Strong analytical background.
• Broad consumer marketing experience, either from operating units or from strategic consulting firm.
• Exposure to multi-channel marketing strategies including direct marketing.
• Good communications skills
• Hands on person
• MBA preferred.
• Undergraduate degree in Mathematics, Marketing, Finance, Economics or Business
• Minimum of 5-7 years role within marketing, business planning or top tier consulting firm
• Commensurate with Experience
• Participation in stock option scheme