The Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer ( CMO ) will direct the overall management of a coordinated strategy and approach to marketing and brand management of Northeastern University. This individual will be adept at driving creative and entrepreneurial thinking, going against the grain to foster new ideas and implement initiatives to meet Northeastern’s goals in increasing the profile of the University nationally and internationally.
The CMO reports directly to the Senior Vice President for External Affairs. S/he will collaborate with other members of the University’s senior leadership team. The CMO will need to develop and maintain a broad set of external relationships with corporate leaders, alumni, academia, vendors, consultants, and professional peers, among others. This outreach is essential in ensuring that Northeastern is recognized globally for the significant advancements it has achieved and the ongoing momentum of its growth and leadership.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as a key advisor to the President, and work to promote his vision and philosophy for Northeastern, as well as his priorities and aspirations for the University;
- Lead an institutional strategy and implementation plan to elevate the brand of Northeastern by marketing the achievements, strategy, and goals of the University. Ensure Northeastern is proactive and strategic in building its reputation, such that the University is recognized for the advances it is making as a pioneering leader in 21st century higher education;
- Increase the national and international visibility of Northeastern’s students, faculty, and administration; catalyze opportunities to externally market the many accomplishments and advances of knowledge achieved by members of the University community at both undergraduate and graduate levels;
- Work with the University’s Senior Leadership Team to ensure proactive and aligned marketing strategies are in place and executed efficiently to generate global attention to Northeastern’s achievements and future goals;
- Develop appropriate outreach plans for listening to outside voices, including corporate leaders, alumni, and academia, for sharing the University’s accomplishments and strategies, and for thinking about how to communicate Northeastern’s impact.
The Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer will be a transformation agent, who thrives on aggressively driving change and impact through marketing and branding. This person will have the ability to develop, articulate, and implement a strategic vision and manage change in a continuously evolving higher education environment. S/he will have demonstrated the capacity to move the hearts and minds of external audiences around ideas and/or knowledge through creative and compelling marketing. S/he will be a highly motivated, flexible, collaborative, and creative individual who is comfortable with ambiguity and going against the grain of the marketing strategies traditionally utilized in higher education settings. S/he will be an effective team builder and leader, a strong communicator, and will have a reputation for building strong relationships across and outside their organization. S/he will thrive working as a member of extremely fast-paced and collaborative teams.
The successful candidate will be a proven senior-level marketing executive with a track record of driving transformational marketing strategy and building brand awareness. S/he will have reputation through the implementation of multi-pronged, integrated marketing programs. It is essential the candidate have a strong branding background with experience in the corporate or agency arena or significant experience with cause marketing, advocacy campaigns or promotion of social causes.
Interested candidates should send their resume for consideration to:
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: Careers@Northeastern
Northeastern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Educational Institution and Employer, Title IX University. Northeastern University particularly welcomes applications from minorities, women and persons with disabilities. Northeastern University is an E-Verify Employer.