LifeLock is a leading provider of proactive identity theft protection services for consumers (marketed both directly, and through risk management services for enterprises). Their leading edge threat detection, identity alerts, and comprehensive remediation solutions help provide peace of mind amid the growing reality and pain of identity theft.
The “VP, Marketing Analytics” is responsible for building a data-driven culture at LifeLock to support and guide strategic decision making, and to guide a sizeable Marketing spend to optimize ROI, CPA and Lifetime Value (LTV). This person will report to the CMO and manage a team of dedicated data/information specialists. The Marketing Analytics team will work closely to support the Digital and Offline Marketing teams, and the Product team, to analyze and enable superior, end-to-end, customer experiences. They will also work closely with LifeLock’s Chief Analytics and Science Officer to ensure consistent implementation of “Best Practices” across the company. The Marketing Analytics portfolio will include the integration of quantitative and qualitative insights for testing, optimization and analytics across all Marketing channels including B2B, B2C, offline and Digital. This will include designing a compelling vision and strategy that optimizes CPA, ROI, and LTV across Marketing channels, while providing deep insights to help deliver the company’s sales, growth, profitability, and market visibility objectives.
Scope of Responsibilities
• Strategic Planning Support – The VP, Marketing Analytics will serve the CMO as an objective, “agnostic” advisor, by leading and overseeing all Analytics projects for Digital Marketing, Offline Marketing, and eCommerce. They will work closely with leaders in each of these functional areas, to make sure their growth agenda and business decisions are supported with timely, accurate, actionable data and customer insights. This VP will be a visible leader inside LifeLock, with impact and influence throughout the organization.
• Converting Insights into Action – Working cross-functionally with critical functions (those with primary impact on member acquisition, retention, and the member experience) like Marketing, Product, Operations, Customer Care, Finance, and IT, develop and recommend an ongoing series of action-oriented ideas, projects and initiatives that forecast a high-probability of successfully enhancing both Marketing Performance (CPA, LTV) and member experiences. This will require developing sophisticated modeling tools that correlate each incremental action with the resultant economic value of that action.
• Marketing & eCommerce Analytics – Oversee Analytics for the eCommerce business, ensuring strong web analytics for all channels (web site, mobile, tablet) including dashboards, tagging, performance monitoring and identification of business opportunities. Also oversee Multivariate Testing Analytics to assist in the delivery of exceptional member experiences, new application launches and site enhancements. Also oversee Analytics support for all key Marketing channels including SEO, SEM, Display, Retargeting, Email, TV, Radio, Print and Direct Mail. Ensure “Best in Class” Analytics approaches/tools and ROI modeling to enhance profitability. Work effectively with eCommerce business partners by providing timely and relevant insights derived from data to facilitate improved enterprise-wide decision making.
• Forecasting/Modeling/Reporting – Oversee forecasting of overall eCommerce channel sales, partnering closely with Finance, Digital Marketing, and IT teams, and incorporating consumer and industry trends. Develop automated reports and ad hoc requests that monitor member behaviors and provide a benchmark for actionable insights. Partner with IT to develop a keen understanding of all sources of member data and optimize how data is organized and effectively utilized across the LifeLock organization.
• Attribution Model – Lead the company’s development of more accurate and sophisticated Attribution models, to determine how and where to assign credit for traffic and conversions, across a variety of Marketing and Communications touch-points in the LifeLock conversion path. This modeling will enable both offline and Digital Marketing leaders to make better choices on their investments, resulting in lower CPA, higher LTV.
• Enhance the Member Experience – In this highly competitive “Identity Protection” and “Personal Risk Management” category, the leader will unquestionably be the brand who can deliver a member experience that exceeds both expectations and the competition. The VP, Marketing Analytics will collaborate cross-functionally to help ensure delivery of an unparalleled member experience that reflects and communicates the essence of the LifeLock brand, and differentiates the brand from others in the market—end-to-end. This work will begin with fine-tuning the metrics that will define the optimal member experience, and ensuring the entire organization is aligned around them.
• Functional Development – Organize, supervise and develop an Analytics and Insights capability within LifeLock, and ensure each team member (whether FT direct-report, contractor/consultant, or other LifeLock team member/employee) acquires and enhances appropriate skills and project-based experiences, to foster their ongoing, professional development. This effort will likely require strategic training and hiring over time. Leverage the company’s team of world-class Data Scientists who are currently housed in San Diego, CA.
• Supplier and Consultant Oversight – The new VP, Marketing Analytics will ultimately be responsible for all aspects of external vendor management for the LifeLock Analytics team. This work will include identifying the best resources, RFP development, project tracking/management, validation and on-going assessments. This will also include ongoing training across the internal team in support of developing the optimal supplier mix, and value realized from those relationships.
• Budget Management – Oversee a significant Analytics budget, and help drive the effectiveness and efficiency of the overall Marketing spend, by using information to optimize CPA and LTV.
Performance & Success Measures
- Cost-per-acquisition (CPA) and lifetime member value (LTV)
- Successfully turning data into insights and insights into actionable and relevant initiatives
- Quality, timely delivery on critical information initiatives and projects
- Continuously improving online member experience
- Customer Measures (CSAT, NPS, First Contact Resolution, Complaint Ratio)
- 360-degree feedback from internal teammates
The new “VP, Marketing Analytics” will report to Mr. Ty Shay, new “Chief Marketing Officer” for LifeLock. Mr. Shay oversees LifeLock’s Consumer, Brand and Partner Marketing. Most recently, Ty was Chief Marketing Officer for SquareTrade where he owned the entire Customer Experience and Partner Marketing relationships. Previously, he founded FanIQ and grew it to 12 million users and into a leading online sports community (it was acquired by Datran Media, now PulsePoint). Ty also held the Chief Marketing Officer role for Hotwire, which he joined prior to the company’s initial launch, helping to grow it into a leading OTA (it was acquired in 2003 by InterActivCorp). Ty was also a key member of the start-up team that launched Esurance (today, wholly-owned by Allstate). He started his career in Brand Management at Clorox and Procter & Gamble. Ty earned his BS in Accounting from the University of Illinois, and he earned his MBA from Stanford University.
Staff & Resources
The new VP, Marketing Analytics will inherit a team of skilled data scientists and analysts, and over time, they will be responsible for enhancing the company’s overall Analytics capabilities through smart hiring, training and development. They will also determine the optimal roster of external suppliers, consultants and agency partners.
Key Internal Operating Relationships
• Digital, Advertising, Strategy teams • Product team
• Creative Services
Compensation & Benefits
• Competitive base salary
• Annual performance bonus
• Equity (RSU’s and Options)
• 401K (w/match), PTO/Vacation (unlimited), Health/Dental/Vision Care • Relocation assistance to the SFO Bay Area (as needed)
• Web Analytics – Expertise in web analytics tools such as Coremetrics, Omniture, Discover, Google Analytics and/or Test & Target. Able to perform complex analyses to generate relevant and actionable data driven insights to inform business and product strategy. Robust data mining, forecasting, and statistical analytics tools, such as SAS, SPSS and SQL skill-sets. Must possess exceptional problem solving and analysis skills combined with the ability to synthesize and effectively communicate findings to all levels throughout the organization.
• Digital Marketing Support – Experience contributing to Digital Marketing plans with an understanding of the current online customer acquisition channels and agencies/suppliers. Must be familiar with a variety of support tools, including E-Mail, Display Advertising, Affiliate, SEO/SEM, site search, checkout, and Mobile. Must have a keen sense of tactical execution in this space coupled with a keen sense of urgency.
• Leadership Expertise – Experience working with multi-functional teams; ability to prioritize and lead teams to execution; clear understanding of budgets and P&L statement. Able to quickly pivot when necessary and present complex findings to various levels of the organization, including the CEO and the senior leadership team. Strong interpersonal skills, executive maturity and EQ.
• Consumer Industry Experience – Ideally, previous experience with categories where online shopping and customer service are critical (Hospitality, Financial Services, Retail, Airlines, to name a few).
• Team-Building & Vendor/Agency Management – Serve as the key liaison between LifeLock and its roster of external data suppliers and agency partners, and lead the Scope of Work (SOW), compensation, negotiation, and process optimization processes. Demonstrated success building organizational capabilities through process design, organizational development, recruiting and training.
- Strategic consulting ability
- Business/thought leadership • Insights innovator
- Analytic acumen
- Negotiation/influencing ability
- Project management skills
- Communication skills
- Relationship builder
- Passion and energy for inciting results through others
- Managerial courage – no order-takers
- Flexible and adaptable
- Results orientation
- Sense of urgency
- Strong work ethic
- High integrity and trustworthy