Humana is a publicly traded (Fortune 70), consumer-focused health care company, offering a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. Our diverse lines of business offer a full range of health and supplemental benefits to many types of consumers, including 4.3 million Seniors (Medicare members), 3 million Military members (TRICARE), and 2.9 Commercial members (self-employed individuals and employer groups). For additional information, please visit: Humana Lines of Business.
Humana. Live life fully.
Humana, a 50+ year old health and wellness company, has a long history and reputation of successful reinvention, transforming itself from the largest U.S. nursing home company in the into the largest U.S. hospital corporation in the 80’s and into a highly respected health benefits company in the mid 90’s. After 2000, the organization became a recognized leader in consumer-focused health solutions, and in recent history, we’ve emerged as a Fortune 73 company with the most trusted brand in our space.
Reporting Relationship: H/she will report to Jody Bilney, Senior Vice President & Chief Consumer Officer
This role will have approximately 6 direct reports
As a company whose primary focus is on the well-being of its members, Humana is dedicated to shifting perceptions of the health insurance industry. We believe our role goes beyond that of a provider to that of a well-being partner who will empower customers to live a life that’s healthy, active, and rewarding.
Accordingly, our search is focused on identifying a Vice President, Marketing who will create an integrated strategy to support the master Humana brand through the Customer, Product, and Educational Platforms. He/She will develop and implement a cohesive and focused marketing and communications strategy that supports the overall business objectives of the Humana enterprise, as well as our image throughout the marketplace. The Vice President will be instrumental in developing and implementing comprehensive marketing campaigns that will enhance our brand and drive our consumers.
The Vice President of Humana’s marketing will be a dynamic marketing professional with exceptional leadership, team building, and strategic skills. This leader will have responsibility for, among other items,
- Brand Strategy – Defining the core user of the Humana brand, articulating the brand strategy, and driving the development and execution of those strategies to continue building the business. And lead:
- Marketing communications
- Sponsorship strategy
- Brand visual identity
- Line of Business Marketing – Driving the strategic direction through collaboration, in a heavily matrixed organization, and provide leadership in:
- Strategic consultative partnership with lines of business
- Annual Integrated marketing planning
- Enterprise Marketing – Participate in the development and execution of the company’s overall business strategy (as articulated on page 3), serving as the voice of the consumer with the leadership team and partners and agencies.
- Media Services – Responsible for maximizing effectiveness/efficiency in buying across the enterprise.
- Build partnerships within marketing organization and with media and agency partners
- Administration – Manage overall Marketing department operations and administrative functions.
- Talent assessment, development/growth
- Marketing regulatory and compliance oversight
- Marketing budget, project and process integration
- Administrative activities for marketing department
Additionally, the Vice President will have the following responsibilities:
- Development and implementation of new product launch programs.
- Closely collaborate with key leaders and other stakeholders across Humana to ensure the success of enterprise initiatives.
- Identify and manage outside agencies and consultants, as appropriate, in providing a broad range of marketing services.
- Direct efforts to design and produce all merchandising and sales support materials.
- Direct trade show and special consumer event participation: identify and manage appropriate events/venues and related activities.
- Establish budgets, timely execution, and track program performance.
- Establish and maintain a benchmark for a trained and motivated professional marketing team through effective implementation of performance and career development programs.
- Leverage an effective actionable customer feedback process.
“Now is an exciting time to be on the Humana team as we pioneer an integrated care delivery model that makes health easy through outstanding clinical capabilities and a personalized experience. As we work together to put people and their health at the center of everything we do we hope to fulfill our aspiration to help people achieve lifelong well-being.” – Bruce Broussard, Humana President & CEO
Skills & Competencies
The successful candidate will be a dynamic leader who is a world-class and experienced marketing leader. He/she will have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across multifunctional teams and across multiple geographies. This person must articulate experience building positive alliances, both inside and outside of the Humana organization as well as external agencies, and throughout the marketplace. He/she also will have demonstrated experience in leading large scale marketing organizations with significant budgets and will successfully:
- Act Strategically – has vision, anticipates future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; creates competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Communication – ensures understanding regardless of the communication vehicle; understands the needs and perspectives of others and tailors delivery accordingly; shares information appropriately; actively listens.
- Innovate – introduce new ideas and processes which improve performance and productivity.
- Leadership tells the Humana story; inspires extraordinary results by engaging others, leading change, valuing diversity, and shaping the culture to support a high performance environment.
Year Success Metrics
The Vice President will be considered successful upon completion of their first year by helping Humana drive sustainable profitable growth and building core capabilities by:
- Protecting & enhancing the Humana brand
- Building preference among consumers, customers and prospects
- Drive profitable and persistent relationships
- Leverage data for more precise, robust and informed decision making
- Establish best-in-class in our discipline
Role Essentials & Desirables
- Excellent academic credentials including a graduate level degree preferred
- 12 + years of experience in leading large, complex marketing organizations for a public company and marketing a consumer product or service in an industry that demands speed, flexibility, and agile thinking
- Ability to work in a complex industry
- Fiscal stewardship over large budgets
- Deep experience in new product innovation. Someone who understands the complexities of the health care/wellness industry and can help shape strategic campaigns that differentiate us in the marketplace
- Healthcare experience is preferred, but not required
- Key talent identification and development