Who better to ask about career and personal success than the people who have made it to the top! CMO Club members share what they’ve found invaluable in pursing a career and life that fulfills them.
First, focusing on strategy, so that my team and I can aim properly and accomplish our goals. Second, investing in relationships and helping mentor others, as well as be mentored by exceptional leaders. Third, remembering that any personal successes throughout my career were not achieved singularly. I have been fortunate to work with a group of individuals who embrace the ethos of teamwork; who provide motivation, inspiration, and passion, and who are committed to tackling difficult goals.
When I think about personal and professional success it boils down like this:
- I’ve had great role models/mentors who have created examples for me to follow.
- I’ve always had the ability to learn from my many mistakes.
- Apart from my mad partying skills honed by working at the DJ company, I spent much of my youth studying acting. While I never took it past college (I was too concerned with not starving for a living), so many of the basic skills I was taught I put into practice every day.
In many ways, acting is the art of communication, and I couldn’t have found personal and professional success without being at least OK at it.
- Passion – I’ve often been asked, “why do you care so much?” by my peers. I guess I’m just wired that way – I can’t just give 75%. I have to give my all no matter what I’m doing. I believe that has helped me in my career as well as in my personal life. It’s important to me that I make a positive impact on a business. I love being able to look back in my career and know that that I contributed to a great sales success or product innovation. Making a positive and lasting impact really motivates me.
- Integrity – I believe integrity is important for both personal and professional success. At the end of the day, I need to look myself in the mirror and be happy with who I see. I live according to the morals and values I was raised with. I believe people see this and like working with me because they know they can trust me and count on me to do what I say I will.
- Leadership – Leading and motivating people is key. I try to be the leader that I would want to work with. I try to inspire people to push their thinking to try new things or to step out of their comfort zone and take on new or different responsibilities. I know I enjoy my job more when I’m learning and growing. I try to set the vision and focus the team on fewer big initiatives. I communicate frequently and openly. I believe that has been part of my success.
I have had the fortune of working with some incredible leaders over the last decade and a half; from the top agency guys to leaders who have literally shaped the CPG and manufacturing industry and now with a number of breakthrough leaders who have and continue to transform a highly regulated industry like healthcare. There has been a number of great lessons that I have learned but the three things that I firmly stand by at all times:
Firstly, it has always been about the human; #humanFirst. The ultimate goal is not technology but getting her the best product/experience at the best price at the best time and at a time and location of her choice. Nothing else matters more.
Secondly, driving top line growth and maximizing lifetime value of a consumer by delivering seamless immersive experiences that change consumer behaviors
Lastly, this quote from Albert Einstein that is my motto as well – “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t know it well enough”. Marketing technology at the convergence of art & science.
Check out the first edition here.
What are YOUR most important components for personal and professional success?