Today, we shine the spotlight on Gordon Abel, CMO of Dynasty Financial Partners and New York City Chapter CMO Club member.
1. Gordon, what are the three most important components for your personal and professional success?
The three most important components are actually the three letters L. U. R. – Listen to Understand so you can properly Respond.
2. Name an “inflection point” experience that prepared you for your current position.
Early on in my career, I went to work for a digital marketing agency (very new at the time to be all digital). In this role, I learned how to leverage the power of data to create new levels of brand relevancy and engagement. Today I rarely make a decision without consulting the data and metrics that matter most.
3. What characteristics do you value most when hiring new marketing talent for your team?
People who have a personal passion for something in their lives often bring that same enthusiasm to the team they join. Share with me what you’re most passionate about!
4. What technology are you looking forward to using or implementing for your brand in the next six months?
Having a fully connected, cross-channel client experience is critical for building brand engagement, loyalty and advocacy. We are in the process of connecting SalesForce CRM with the Pardot marketing enablement platform. The opportunity here is mind-blowing.
5. Which book would you recommend to your fellow CMO Club members right now?
Any book they want – as long as they slow down and carve out personal time to read.
6. Do you have a personal mantra, words of wisdom or favorite inspirational quote?
Be yourself and the rest will take care of itself.