1. What was your first (or favorite) job you’ve had?
My favorite job was VP of Sales and Marketing for sustainable materials company. This was where I learned about the intersection between traditional B2B marketing and environmental messaging, stakeholder management, and generally addressing the growing sustainability and eco-conscious buyer.
2. What are the three most important components of your personal and professional success?
- Learn from every job you have and when you are done learning, move on.
- Embrace the spirit of improvisation and adopt a “Yes, and” mindset because rapid change is all around us.
- Make it personal and fun.
3. Name an “inflection point” experience that prepared you for your current position as a CMO or Head of Marketing.
See my response to question one above.
4. What characteristics do you value most when hiring new marketing talent for your team?
I look for people with a core understanding of the role of marketing in a B2B company but nowadays I also look for those from outside our industry to inject new thinking. This could be about tools but often it is about a mindset around our “real customers” and a willingness to take a fresh look at how we are approaching the market.
5. What technology are you looking forward to using or implementing for your brand?
Crowdsourcing and IBM’s Watson. Both will help us grow our customer data and leverage that into insights and do it in real-time.
6. Which book would you recommend to your fellow Heads of Marketing right now?
The Innovators by Walter Isaacson
7. Do you have a personal mantra, words of wisdom or favorite inspirational quote?
It’s about the journey and not the destination, so enjoy the ride.