LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat represent a new world of marketing opportunities around building brand awareness, gaining customer insight, and delivering engaging experiences.
As CMOs navigate the social media landscape, they come across many challenges and opportunities to raise awareness of their brands to fully engage with their customers.
The CMO Club, in thought leadership with Claro Enterprise Solutions, developed a new study, A Social Media Playbook, Five Pillars of Success. The playbook explores best practices, lessons learned, and examples from the front lines. The study held in-depth individual interviews with six CMO Club senior marketing members including Noha Abdalla, Vice President, Global Social Media, Hilton, Camila Casale, Chief Marketing Officer, Claro Enterprise Solutions, Jenny Cueva, Head of Digital Marketing, Hu-Friedy Mfg. Co., LLC, Ed Dandridge, Global Chief Marketing & Communications Officer, AIG General Insurance, Dan Hennessy, Former Chief Commercial Officer, MolsonCoors Intl., Dave Scott, Director of Global Marketing, Twitter.
We identified five pillars of effective use of social media to use as the foundation of a social strategy:
- Measurement & Analytics: It’s a work in progress but getting better.
- Targeted Content & Messaging: Telling better stories and getting the message just right has become a critical priority.
- Innovation & Creativity: The spontaneity of social media makes innovation and creativity paramount to effective strategies.
- Structure & Talent: Core strategic functions should be kept in-house, but there’s room for external agencies in media buying and planning.
- Global Strategy: Think global, act local.
- Local Action: CMOs should engage with leadership at the Board level to define social standards.
The study shares key insights every CMO should know in optimizing their organization’s social effectiveness.
Read the full CMO Solution Guide: A Social Media Playbook.